Friday, September 12, 2008

In-Class, Monday: Thread for WebQuests

On Monday, we will quickly post our URL's on this blog thread (hyperlink your topics!)

TASK 1: Read your peers' WebQuests, and compare their professionalism with your own. After that, grade YOUR OWN WebQuest with the following grading sheet, which you also received in an email, and either bring your printed-out self-evaluation sheet to class on Wednesday, and submit it in the first 10 minutes of class, or email it to me before Wednesday's class starts.

If you are not in class on Monday, figure out at home how to hyperlink your WebQuest URL (click on "publish" in the WebQuest editor, and copy the URL; then, go to this blog entry, click on the globe with the paper clip, and hyperlink this URL with "paste" to your topic). Publish by class time on Monday, Sept. 15th. If it isn't published by class time, it won't be graded because your peers and I cannot see it.

I will only grade WebQuests for which the URL's were posted before or in Monday's class, and for which I have received your self-evaluation on Wednesday. No late assignments accepted.


TASK 2: As a comment to this blog entry, note down the name and topic of your FAVORITE WebQuest (you can also pick your own), and write in one sentence why you think it is so outstanding. Put yourself in the role of a student, not a teacher (as if you had to do the WebQuest). The person who wins will get to choose our next in-class reading for the blog summaries ;-)


Name of Author...................... topic of WebQuest, linked to URL


1. Lori Bedell

2. Dan Bleyer

3. Donald Dinkins..............Beatnik slang

4. Andre Dyson...............Drug Slang

5. Ashley Epps...............Prison Slang

6. Sharon Espina.......... Australia's Slang and Metaphors

7. Marissa Freese...........Australian Slang

8. Maddison Green..........1960s Slang

9. Jennifer Gulley.............British and Irish slang

10. Sharita Haralson...........1920's Slang

11. Brian Harris....... Computer Slang

12. Sarah Klingler .......Death and Dying Slang

13. Raquel Maxey...........1920s Slang

14. Heather Mormino........................1960s Slang

15. Emily Muren................... 1920s Slang

16. Melisa Ogle...................... British Slang

17. Bradley Palm

18. Alexandra Rude........ Death Metaphors and Euphemisms

19. Ken Stoner..................Nadsat

20. Jacob Talbert...........1920's slang

21. Laura Treat...............Australian Slang

22. Leah West.................African American Slang

21 comments:

Raquel Maxey said...

I like Sharita's webquest - it was really fun, and she included links to different sites that relate to her topic. Good Job!

Bradley Palm said...

I liked Marissa's use of the Australian map on the first page of her webquest, its a great opener for the eye. Aside from only the map, the rest of her pictures were fun and flowed well; flag, kangaroo, etc.

Jacob Talbert said...

My favorite WebQuest is Donald's. He had many pictures and a lot of content. I almost wish that I could be in his class to do that WebQuest.

Kenneth Stoner said...

Donald's WebQuest was my favorite as well. It really fit the topic well, and the pictures of the books for further study is a great idea! Nicely done!

Emily Muren said...

I liked Ken Stoner's Webquest about Nadsat! I have always wanted to read that book "A Clockwork Orange", but i never have. After reading his Webquest I think I will!

Sharon Espina said...

There were so many well prepared webquests. However, I really liked Alexandra's about Death and Dying. I think it was laid out well and the activities seemed fun and engaging.

Brian Harris said...

I liked Ken's Nadsat WebQuest. It shows how slang is evident in the real world and in literature as well. His WebQuest was very interactive and also had a lot of useful information

Alexandra Rude said...

I also liked Marissa's WebQuest. It was very well organized and had a lot of great pictures. It also created a final project that was meant to be fun.

Laura Treat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Klingler said...

I thought everyone did a good job. My favoirte was Sharita Haralson. She used a lot of different links for her students to use, and I thought the final project would be fun to get all the students involved.

Maddison Green said...

I liked Laura Treat's webquest. I liked her introduction and I liked that it seemed that she put a lot of effort into it. It was very interesting.

Laura Treat said...

I really liked how Ken and Jennifer linked their slang to a specific book. Their Webquests were designed very well and I really liked how they took slang and made it specific to something...I don't know if I explained that well, but I liked it :)

I also liked Andre's a lot too. Taking slang and making it applicable to a real-world problem was a creative spin on the assignment.

Everybody had great ones though :) I loved the colors and pictures. :D

Marissa Freese said...

I also really liked Laura's page. It had eye catching colors, used nice pictures, and seemed very age appropriate. Very nice!

Jennifer Gulley said...

There were so many great webquests that it was hard to pick a favorite! I really like Laura's. It was very age-appropriate. The links were very handy, and she made it easy for them by giving specific directions (like "look to the left and click on the word'task'").
I also liked the way that Andre used the topic of drug slang to teach students about the dangers of taking OTC drugs. This is a problem that is way too common in schools. Bravo, Andre!

Melisa Ogle said...

I liked Sharita's webquest :) The lesson sounded really fun! Like, Raquel, I think that it was interesting that she found other sources to use for her lesson. It shows a lot of creatity and insight. It sounds like she knew a lot about the 20s already!

Andre Dyson said...

Everyone did an exquisite job, but my favorite webquest was Sarah Klingler's. It was good to see that she was thinking outside of the box on such an uncomfortable topic. That would be a tough one to grapple.
Nice!

Donald said...

I enjoyed Kenneth Stonner's the best. I was well acquainted with Anthony Burgess work, so I think it would be a very good study of the way that society interprets language as it is integrated into our daily lives. The idea to see if you could figure the slang out first before knowing what the meanings were was a very good idea.

Leah West said...

I liked Sarah Klingler's WebQuest. Although I believe everyone did a good job I think hers would be the most entertaining if I was a student that had to complete a WebQuest.

Heather Mormino said...

I like and Donald's webquest. Donald's look very professional and thorough. Plus it made want to do all of his tasks.

Sharita Haralson said...

I really enjoyed Donald's webquest. With great picture choices, he truly captured the essecnce of the Beatnik generation. The assignments were very realistic and the page kept me interested the whole way through. HIGh FIVE, Donald!! haha

Ashley Epps said...

I know I'm late posting a comment on this blog, but I feel every webquest was great! I like Sharita's and Andre's the best though!!