Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prescriptive Grammar: Part I
The Middle Ages (500-1500 A.D.)
This section contained so many interesting facts that had a hard time choosing the information to include in the blog!
Importance of Latin
First of all, as we probably know, Latin was the primary subject of language study during this period. An individual named Aelfric composed Latin grammar and Colloquium (“Conversations”) around 1000 A.D. Aelfric’s grammar is one of the earliest grammars aimed specifically at English speakers, so this information may be interesting to share with students. Aelfric’s grammar is significant because it foreshadows the later prescriptive tendency to base English grammar on Latin models.
Concept of “Grammar”
The major contribution of this period is “speculative grammar,” which is based on the idea that language is a “mirror” of reality—one could learn about the nature of the world by studying the way that language was used to refer to things in the world. Speculative grammar is the product of medieval scholars called the modistae, who were the first to view grammar as a separate field of study.
The Renniassance (1500-1650)
The first systematic study of the vernacular languages (ordinary, everyday language) of Europe occurred during this time period. An expansion of printing in Europe also occurred during this time, coinciding with the spread of literacy and demand for education.
Universal Grammar
A group called the Solitaires attempted to write a grammar containing all of the properties common to languages known at the time.
For the Blog Response: (Due Monday, Dec. 1)
What do you think about the concept of “Speculative Grammar?” Do you think discussion about this topic should be included in the high school English class?

11 comments:

Raquel Maxey said...

The way Jennifer describes this topic definitely makes me want to read up on it. As I've said in other responses, I believe the history of a subject can make students more interested in the topic. This is definitely the case, since students could find out what the words they're using now meant 600 years ago. It would take our "slang" unit to a whole new level!
I think that this subject threatens to be a bit dry, however, so it shouldn't be dwelt upon. I do not think an entire curriculum should be designed for it.

Heather Mormino said...

I agree with Raquel. The topic is very interesting and I would use it as a short, one-day lesson. Hopefully it would make students look at grammar as, dare I say it, fun and interesting. I don't think an entire curriculum should be used either, but I may leave the decision up to my kids. If it gets my student interested in grammaer it's definately worth an entire lesson.

Sarah Klingler said...

The histories of grammar is a very large topic. Just from the blog we see several differnt ones in short. I do not think I would concetrate a single lesson on the topic, but I would definetly bring it up and have a short discussion about the topic.

Laura Treat said...

I think the "mirror of reality" sounds really interesting, but that's just me. :) I think this would be an interesting way to introduce a unit, but I probably wouldn't spend an excessive amount of time on it unless the students were really interested in it.

Alexandra Rude said...

I agree with Sarah. I think the topic is interesting and students may enjoy hearing about it, but I do not think I would create an entire lesson on it. Referencing it and having small discussions on the topic would be the way I would introduce the topic. Or maybe I would give them a short article on it to read and summarize for homework. I don't know exactly how, but it would be a brief overview if anything.

Sharita Haralson said...

Uhhh. Sorry, but to be honest, I would not teach it to my class. I mean, every lesson does not have to be off the wall excitiing, but this one is one that I would not even find interesting to teach. I would probably try to get the information and learn it well, then disguise it in a more interesting lesson. I did not read exactly what the book said, but based on the given information, I would have to say pass. There is only so much time that can be spent on each unit and I feel like the time spent on that topic could be better spent on something else.

Jacob Talbert said...

I think the subject is very interesting. However, I would probably not teach it to high school students and below. Time would be better spent on grammar topics about parts of speech or something of that nature.

Melisa Ogle said...

I agree with Sharita. I wouldn't use this information in my classroom. There are so many more useful subjects in grammar that students should be focusing on. If they want to study up on it themselves, then great; I'll supply the resources. However, like Raquel said, it is a rather dry topic. It might be difficult to engage the students with history of grammar if they are already bored with grammar itself.

Kenneth Stoner said...

I absolutely do think that these concepts should be taught in the classroom, especially to high school students. There is a common interest in skewing perspectives and looking at the world in different ways among many adolescents. Offering the study of language as a new way of examining people and culture could make the subject of grammar much more interesting and help to increase learning where it has faltered.

Emily Muren said...

I think the concept is pretty interesting, but I don’t think I would teach this topic to my class. Actually, it would depend on what type of class I would be teaching. I think at some point, I might bring up this concept of the studying of language, but it might be hard incorporating it into an English literature or writing class. I think definitely, this topic should be incorporated into a language or grammar class for the students to really appreciate and understand where their language came from.

Sharon Espina said...

I am not quite sure I understand exactly what speculative grammar is, it was a bit confusing. I would like to research it some more, but I do not think I would spend a lot of time on it in and high school English class. In high school I think it should just be grammar and the functions of grammar, not backgrounds.