Monday, November 3, 2008

Computational Generation of Limericks

Lessard and Levison begin the article by stating that this topic may be frivolous, but it could a good case can be made for the importance and indeed the centrality of the problems that they discuss further in the article on both theoretical and practical problems. They state that people are interested in the underlying principles of what it taken as the essential component of our humanity: humor.

We may have all heard of limericks, but what exactly is a limerick? Well, in the article the authors say that a limerick is the midway between a pun and a joke. What constitutes a limerick to most people is a five-line poem with an aabba rhyme, scheme, an anapestic metre, and nine syllables on lines one, two and five, and six syllables on lines three and four. However, this is subject to change as the rhyme scheme is not limited to aabba.

Lessard and Levison then start to discuss rhyme. Two phonological sequences (words, sequences of words, lines) are said to rhyme if their final stressed syllables share the same nucleus and coda. Everyboday knows that for most poems rhyme is an essetial piece. So we take from these two section of the article that a limerick is a rhyming joke.

Now we get into metre: Once a rhyme scheme has been determined, the construction of each line requires that a sequence of lexical items be aligned, culminating in the rhyming word, which contains the correct number of syllables and whose metrical structure follows the pattern determined for the limerick under construction. So now we decide that a limerick is a rhyming joke that has a certain rhythm based from its metre. The metre is the flow of the rhyme. Think of how you read a poem and the specific pattern we use in our heads.

For discussion: Do you know any (class appropriate) limericks? Do you think you could make one up on your own? Would you teach limericks to your class, and if so would you mix it in with poetry since we know that a limerick is somewhat of a rhyming poem?

16 comments:

Sarah Klingler said...

I think I would teach limericks, and I think I would intertwine them with the poetry section. Since limericks have some of the same qualities as poems do, I think it would be easier for students to identifiy the similarities and differences of poems and limericks.

Sharita Haralson said...

Limerick
There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'
--Edward Lear

Sharita Haralson said...

I would definitely teach my students to write limericks. It is another fun way for the students to be expressive that would fall neatly into a poetry unit. I think it is good for students to be taught things that they may not be used to. Many students will be familiar with nursery rhyme type poetry. They would probably enjoy writing in that style, but a limerick proves to be more challenging due to the length restriction.

Melisa Ogle said...

I think that limericks add a fun aspect to teaching poetry, especially at the high school level. When students are studying deep poetry, limericks give them a good break and allow them to see a more entertaining aspect to poetry. It's also a good opportunity for them to practice with rhyming if they are given a poetry assignment. They can focus on the rhyming aspect of poetry and the rhythm rather than worry about including more difficult elements like metaphors and similies.

Jennifer Gulley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Gulley said...

There once was a woman from Herrin
Who wasn't completely barren.
Her son was named Ryan;
He was always cryin'
Because of the shoes he was wearin'. ;)

I will teach limericks in my classroom. I believe that we do not have enough FUN in our high school classrooms! I agree with Melisa that teaching limericks will give students a break from the more serious poetry and allow them to realize that poetry doesn't have to be serious, it can also be light and humorous.

Emily Muren said...

I don't really know any limericks off the top of my head, but when I looked it up I found a good one:

There was an Old Man in a tree,
Who was horribly bored by a Bee;
When they said, 'Does it buzz?'
He replied, 'Yes, it does!'
'It's a regular brute of a Bee!'
-Edward Lear

I think I would teach limericks to my students because I think that they would enjoy creating their own versions. I would also teach limericks with the poetry section because they are just like rhyming poems.

Alexandra Rude said...

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nan took it.

I would definitely try and incorporate limericks into my class. Studying and creating limericks would help students to understand certain aspects of poetry, and would allow them to have some fun with it. The more fun students have in school, the more they are willing to learn.

Sharon Espina said...

I can't really think of any limericks off of the top of my head right now, but I love limericks. I definitely think that limericks should be included when teaching poetry. I think that teaching limericks can help teach other aspects of poetry such as meter and rhyme. When I have my own classroom I will teach limericks.

Jacob Talbert said...

“I’m engaged,” said the gal to her mom.
“I’m in love and I’m marrying Tom.”
“But I don’t see a ring,”
Said her mom. “Get some bling.
Until then, I intend to stay calm.”
--Madeleine Begun Kane

I will probably teach limericks along with a poetry unit. Poetry does not seem to excite students. Therefore, limericks could lighten the mood and morale of a classroom.

Donald Dinkins said...

There once was a man named McCain,
Who tried to get my vote in vain
a vote for him would be insane
disagreeing with me is plumber Joe
Uh oh! Obama just won O-hi-o!!


Sorry, watching the election results.
I will definitely teach limericks to my students. Not only is it a good way to teach rhyme and meter, its a great way to have the students introduced to creative writing. Any time that you can have teach something that is fun and accessible to all the students, and teach them essential writing skills at the same time is a rare thing.

Kenneth Stoner said...

How I love when the leaves change their hue,
For when all of the raking is through,
I'll take just a while
And Jump in the pile -
There's a kid in me, just as in you!

I'm not exactly a poet. That's why I had to find a good limerick for my response on the internet.
I would use limericks as a good introduction to poetry units or even as a way of getting used to the rhythm of Shakespeare's iambic pentameter. They would be very useful for helping ease students into a subject that many are afraid of.

Leah West said...

There once was an old man of Esser,
Whose knowledge grew lesser and lesser,
It at last grew so small
He knew nothing at all,
And now he's a college professor.

I would use limericks in certain situations. I do not believe they would be helpful to all grade levels or all topics.

Ashley Epps said...

I definitely think I will teach Limericks in my classroom, because they are fun, but at the same time a type of poetry. I think lower grade levels should teach Limericks in their poetry section of English classes. This will give students a time to actually express themselves through literary works. I don't actually have a Limerick right now, so I'll get back to you on that question.

***MY PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA****

Laura Treat said...

I actually had to write a limerick in sixth grade, but I don't remember what it was about at all. It was pretty fun, though, and definitely a nice change-up from all the other boring things we'd done. Teaching them would probably be a lot of fun. I liked Sarah's idea of teaching it with a unit on poetry. Limericks would definitely brighten it up for anyone who might not like it.

Raquel Maxey said...

I agree. I would teach limericks in my classroom. I think it's an interesting, different approach to something students are somewhat familiar with.